This fairy princess, Liliella, was created for my cousin’s youngest daughter Lily. She is based on the final, most complex pattern, ‘Titiana’ from my Jan Horrox book. This was definitely a challenge and took a lot longer to create than the previous dolls because of the moveable joints for the arms, elbows, hips and knees. However, I enjoyed the challenge and the process of making all the intricate details for the doll.
The colour scheme was developed from this original piece of textiles that I created for my degree over ten years ago. Initially I dyed the fabric pale blue, then added red dye on top of the blue to create a bleed effect and purple dye to add texture. The purple and pink stripes were created through a hand cut screen print. Finally I stitched basic linear petal shapes over the purple textured areas. It was nice revisiting an old piece of work and to give it a new lease of life. My plan is to incorporate other textiles pieces that I have into my doll making.
Fortunately, I already had a mixture of pink, purple and blue fabrics in my collection like the range of textured wools that I used for the hair, which also includes strips of off-cut fabrics from other parts of the doll. I particularly like the vintage pink and purple floral fabric that I used on the lower arms and legs.
Fortunately it was a really sunny day when I came to photograph Liliella so I made the most of this and hunted out interesting areas in my garden and had fun posing her in different areas. I was particularly pleased with this image below and the featured image because I feel these tell the most interesting story.